michaelcrane

Progress: 90/1054 minutes
Wait for Signs: Twelve Longmire Stories
Craig Johnson
Progress: 105/184 pages

Reading progress update: I've read 23 out of 198 pages.

Interpreter of Maladies - Jhumpa Lahiri

Finding a short story you read long ago but could never remember the author or title at the time is like finding a long, lost buddy of yours. I'm always delighted when this happens. Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri has always been on my radar. Whenever I go to look for short story collections, it's always posted at the top. Why it took me so long to finally grab it, I haven't a clue.

I read the first story, "A Temporary Matter," and the title reminded me of something I had read in college. It didn't take me long to realize that I in fact had, and it was a story I'd always liked. Reading it now, it is completely devastating. I don't remember if I was this devastated when I read it in college, but reading it now in my early thirties, it really punched me in the gut. I remembered the premise of the story, but I'd forgotten how it ended. And boy, was the ending a whopper.

I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the collection, and if you are a lover of short stories then I highly recommend reading the first story, "A Temporary Matter." It's only twenty pages or so.