michaelcrane

Craig Johnson
Progress: 105/184 pages

Counting sheep

A Wild Sheep Chase - Alfred Birnbaum, Haruki Murakami

I'm going to keep this as short as possible. Hell, I'm not even sure if I'd call it a review, other than the fact that it does have my rating for it. Murakami isn't the easiest author to review. You're thrown into strange journeys and you're never quite sure if you understand it all--yet you have one hell of a good time following along.

A Wild Sheep Chase is no different. It's Murakami's strange and twisted take on the detective novel. There are no thugs or bad guys with guns per say, but there is a mystery that our narrator is forced to solve. The whereabouts of a particular sheep with a strange marking on it.

I'll be honest and say that I'm sure there are things that went way past my head on this one, but I don't care. I had a hell of a time following the narrator on this mysterious task. There are plenty bits of humor, along with some trippy scenes that'll play games with your head. This isn't my most favorite Murakami book so far, but it's still a damned good read and I highly recommend it to anybody who's a fan (well, chances are you already have if you are).

Rupert Degas does a superb job reading. He goes over and beyond the call of duty. As I mentioned in one post, he even went as far as to act out a character scarfing down his lunch while talking at the same time. Can't say I've heard many others do that. I'm looking forward to Dance Dance Dance in the very near future, which I hear is somewhat of a sequel (and it's also read by Degas).

Sorry this is so short. I'm sure I've helped nothing. But really, there's not much else I can add other than this is another enjoyable Murakami novel, and it's further proof that he's becoming one of my new favorite authors. I simply have to get my hands on everything this man has written.

4 stars