michaelcrane

Michael's Book Babble

It
Stephen King
Progress: 1244/1477 pages

Reading progress update: I've read 137 out of 442 pages.

Kafka on the Shore - Philip Gabriel, Haruki Murakami

Okay, that was effin' brutal. There is a very horrific and graphic scene of terrible violence and murder of cats. It was a tough, tough chapter to get through. But the main difference between this is Ballard's High-Rise is that I'm enjoying this novel a lot more than the other, and this was a scene where you could rush through to skip a bunch of the gory details and still understand what's just taken place.

Also, there's a strange and dream-like touch to this second storyline of Kafka on the Shore. While it may not make it any easier to deal with the scene, at the same time I didn't feel like I wanted to call it quits. Especially since this isn't violence towards animals throughout. So far, it's just one or two chapters. I still want to continue on because I do think it's a great novel.

Another big difference is I find all of the characters interesting and not flat. Another thing I felt was lacking of High-Rise. And *minor spoiler* the person inflicting the horrible pain and suffering to the cats didn't go unpunished.

But I wanted to warn my felllow animal lovers. It was rough. And sadly, I'm never going to look at the name Johnnie Walker in the same light ever again...