michaelcrane

Wait for Signs: Twelve Longmire Stories
Craig Johnson
Progress: 105/184 pages

10 books that have stayed with me

I was tagged by Liz Loves Books for this post. I'm going to list 10 books that have stuck with me. I'm not very good at tagging, and I'm not sure how many of you have already done this, so if you want to also post your ten books and say I was the heartless bastard who tagged you, I'd be fine with that! (although, you probably could leave out the "heartless bastard" part. No need for name-calling)

So, here they are. In no particular order:

1) Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck - This is the first book I ever read by John Steinbeck, and I was blown away by it. I still think it has one of the best last lines ever.

2) Less Than Zero by Bret Easton Ellis - My very first Bret Easton Ellis book, and this one stayed with me for days. It is bleak, ugly, and hopeless. So of course, you know I ended up loving the hell out of it.

3) The Book Thief by Markus Zusak - The audiobook is phenomenal. And it's another book where the closing line is absolutely perfect--and heartbreaking.

4) The Illustrated Man by Ray Bradbury - I don't know what else I can add to this, other than it's a fantastic collection of stories.

5) Dear Life by Alice Munro - The very first short story collection that I read by Munro, which is why I always find myself coming back to it again and again. It's a tough pick between this and Runaway, but this is the one that started it for me. And the last personal pieces alone make the book a must-read. But they're all fantastic.

6) Catch 22 by Joseph Heller - I always find myself going back to find funny quotes to post. That should tell you enough!

7) Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut - Um...it's Vonnegut! Need I say more? If you've read this book, you'll understand!

8) Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill - One of the creepiest ghost stories ever. If not the creepiest. I needed to calm myself the hell down after I was finished.

9) Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage by Haruki Murakami - It hits close to home, because we've all had something happen to us when we were younger. Something that changed our paths, for better or worse. And I also know the dread of not confronting the past.

10) The Easter Parade by Richard Yates - My favorite Yates novel. It's so tragic, yet beautiful at the same time. The last few pages really stay with you.