michaelcrane

Michael's Book Babble

Another round of excellent stories from Alice Munro

Hateship, Friendship, Courtship, Loveship, Marriage: Stories - Alice Munro

Alice Munro’s Hateship, Friendship, Courtship, Loveship, Marriage is another fine collection of stories from a master storyteller. While this collection might not have had an impact on me like her two other collections I’ve read so far (Dear Life, Too Much Happiness) it is still a wonderful collection, and further demonstrates the art of the short story. The thing is, her short stories never feel like short stories. They all feel like short novels. That’s how full of life they are.

While “The Bear That Came Over the Mountain” was a heartbreaking and very strong piece of fiction (the movie Away From Her is based on this story), I think the strongest story of the bunch is the one that carries the same title as the collection, which is the very first story.

I enjoyed all of the stories, but as always I have my standouts:

Hateship, Friendship, Courtship, Loveship, Marriage

Family Furnishings

Comfort

Nettles

Post and Beam

Queenie

The Bear Came Over the Mountain

This is another solid collection from a master of short fiction. And it becomes clearer with every new story I read of hers as to how she’s so quickly become my new favorite short story writer. If you’re a fan of short stories, I really recommend you check her out. If you haven’t read her yet, I’d strongly suggest starting with Dear Life, as that is the collection that got me hooked.

4 and a half stars