michaelcrane

Michael's Book Babble

A mixed bag... but a lot more pleasant than most mixed bags

Desperation - Stephen King

Oh, Desperation could've been the perfect masterpiece. The first half is absolutely terrifying, leaving your chest feeling numb due to your heart trying to rip the hell out and screaming bloody murder as it runs off. You almost want to stop reading because of the horror and the absolute brutality... yet you can't. You have to continue on.

The second half, while it wasn't terrible, I felt it wasn't nearly as strong as the first. The ending left me shrugging my shoulders and going, "Well, okay then." Again, not bad. Not bad at all. It just felt like it was aiming to be something a lot more special.

Despite that, I still consider this a strong King effort. It was a real page turner. I just wished it held onto that chilling darkness that was present right at the beginning.

4 stars