michaelcrane

Michael's Book Babble

Bleak and depressing... so of course you know I loved it

Less Than Zero - Bret Easton Ellis

I think Bret Easton Ellis' Less Than Zero was not only my introduction to him, but it was also, I think, the first book I read where the narration was in present tense. Might seem awkward at first, but it really flowed. Later on, I'd end up trying my hand at writing short stories that way, and I really dug it. It's not everybody's favorite storytelling form. Hell, I know some folks who stay away from books where the story is told in present tense. It's not something I'd do over and over again, but when it's done right and if it's for the right story, it can be extremely effective.

I loved this book. Love it, love it, LOVE IT. It's bleak and depressing as hell. Unsettling, too. But extremely well done. Very happy that this was my first Bret Easton Ellis book.

5 stars