michaelcrane

Michael's Book Babble

A little piece of my childhood

Sideways Stories from Wayside School - Louis Sachar, Adam McCauley

I adored these books as a little kid. I remember my teacher reading the stories out loud to us in class, along with Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark. I think these books are responsible for me being the short story lover that I am today.

Sideways Stories from Wayside School is a wonderful piece of nostalgia. Like revisiting a long lost friend. As soon as I read the first story, I felt like I was a little kid again. These stories are silly, odd, and excellent. The first two tales have to deal with teachers (one meanie who turns bad children into apples, and then the replacement who first sees her students as actual monkeys). The others focus on specific students in the class, many of them with odd quirks.

Since the audience is very young readers, the sentences are simplistic and straight to the point. Yet there is no shortage on imagination here. If you've never read it this as a child, it may be lost on you as an adult now. However, if grew up with these stories, chances are it'll take you back to when you were a child. And if you have little ones of your own, I highly recommend introducing this to them.

5 stars