michaelcrane

Michael's Book Babble

It
Stephen King
Progress: 1119/1477 pages

A wonderful and frightening winner

Coraline - Neil Gaiman

Like the book, I'm keeping this review short and sweet. I absolutely loved Neil Gaiman's Coraline. It's a magical and wondrous tale about a young girl who finds a door in their new apartment flat that leads to another world. Her parents are there in this other world...only they're not really her parents. These other parents have buttons for their eyes. And the Other Mother wants Coraline to stay in their little world forever.

But this world is a false one. And if Coraline wants to even have a chance at getting out in one piece and find her missing parents, she's going to have to be brave.

I loved everything about this book. It's creepy and it's wonderful at the same time. Gaiman's storytelling is so crystal clear that the pictures in your head will linger, and a lot of these pictures you're going to want to forget. Because they're that terrifying. And awesome.

I listened to the audio book, which is read by Gaiman himself. He is one of the very few authors who can read his own work and make it exciting. I could listen to the man read anything.

A very short read/listen, but that doesn't take away any of the magic. If anything, it makes it even more impressive.

5 stars