michaelcrane

Wait for Signs: Twelve Longmire Stories
Craig Johnson
Progress: 105/184 pages

Writing Word Count Update

I'm only a few hundred away from 40,000 words for the month of May. I should hit it tomorrow. I had no idea I'd be this productive so quickly. Feels good to enjoy writing again...and just to write in general!

A handy tip: Journal entries are a great way to beef up your word count for the day. When I journal, it's usually about my writing progress, or what I'd like to accomplish in the next (or current) writing prompt/story. It's a good warm-up, especially if you do it first thing in the morning. An easy way to get a few hundred words out of the way for the day, along with tackling some possible ideas.

For anybody who is suffering in a horrible writing rut, PLEASE KEEP GOING. As I've said before, I experienced the worst one of my life and it lasted a year. I didn't think it was possible to beat it, but I did. I just had to change how I did things. Sometimes, that's all you have to do.

One of my favorite quotes from Stephen King is, "If you want to be a writer, you must do two things above all others: read a lot and write a lot.” That is so, so true.

I'd like to alter it, just a little bit. Especially for my fellow writer friends and followers who are suffering a horrible block and are struggling to even type a sentence on the computer screen:

"Write a little every day."

Because when you do that, it'll add up. And on some days you will write a lot.