michaelcrane

Progress: 90/1054 minutes
Wait for Signs: Twelve Longmire Stories
Craig Johnson
Progress: 105/184 pages

The writing dry spell is over!

After experiencing one of the worst dry writing spells of my life, it finally broke about two weeks ago. My outlook on writing is healthy again!

I'm keeping tack of every day that I write, and am recording the numbers. Mostly to show me that everything adds up.

So many days I avoided writing because I didn't think I had a thousand words in me. I'm kicking myself for that now. Even on days where I would've only written 200 words or so, that still would've been better than zero.

My focus this year isn't to publish anything. If I do, fantastic. That's not the goal.

The goal is to get healthy again. Writing-wise.

Every day, I do a free-form writing prompt. I've set my minimum word count goal to 500. Why 500?

It's a lot easier to get my ass in that chair and write, even on the days where I don't have the time, or the motivation. I can think to myself, "Yeah. I can do five hundred. Or at least close to that." Instead of, "A thousand? Crap, I can't do that. Might as well write nothing today."

That ends now.

The above picture is my first week of writing in May. Not only was I able to hit my goal, but I was able to even double it.

There's always a chance that this motivation might slip, but I don't think so. And I'm going to do my damnedest to prevent that.

Feels good to write again. Even if I'm only doing daily writing prompts. Better than nothing. :)