michaelcrane

Progress: 90/1054 minutes
Wait for Signs: Twelve Longmire Stories
Craig Johnson
Progress: 105/184 pages

An awesome and exciting ride

Dziewczyna z pociÄ…gu - Paula Hawkins

The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins is a slow-burn. We're not given the entire picture due to narrators who are possibly unreliable, or at the very least do not know the whole story themselves. While there are three narrators, the majority of the story focuses on Rachel. Her life is in shambles and she hasn't been able to pick herself up after her husband left her for another woman. She drinks heavily, and the only time she can grasp at happiness is when she rides the train. At one of the stops, she's able to see a couple out on their porch. She's imagined how happy they must be and even has come up with names for them and daily routines.

But that happiness comes crashing down when the real woman goes missing, and the husband is a suspect. And now the happy picture Rachel had in her head gets torn apart little by little each day the more she learns the truth about the couple.

I had a hell of a time with this book, and I mean that in the best possible way. In some ways this reminded me of Gone Girl, being that how you view certain characters change drastically as you move forward with the story. Multiple narrators can seem jarring and disjointed when done poorly, but in this case I thought it was pulled off in a masterful way.

I switched back and forth between reading this on my Kindle and listening to the audio book, which is superbly read by Clare Corbett, Louise Brealey, and India Fisher.

The Girl on the Train is a brilliant novel that requires patience. While this can be considered a thriller, it's not action-packed. You have to let it soak in. And when you hit those final thirty pages or so, your heart's going to try to rip out of your chest.

4 and a half stars